There’s something for everyone when it comes to video games. But sometimes you wish it would never end. Fortunately, some particularly massive titles require players to spend hundreds of hours to complete them.
Based on data from the community site How Long To Beat, which tracks the time it takes to complete a game based on several criteria, we list the 10 games with the longest lifespans.
The 10 Longest Video Games
Believe it or not, it took quite a bit of sorting to extract from “How Long To Beat” a workable list of the longest video games to finish.
Indeed, the site being community-based, its members tend to come and register their game time once they are done with a title. And multiplayer games, or service games, are widely represented.
As a joke, World of Tanks: Blitz takes first place (by far) on the site, with an average of 2,706 hours.
But if we keep only the single-player games, this is how the ranking looks like:
- Mobius Final Fantasy: 207 hours (RPG, 2015, Square Enix, PC/iOS/Android)
- Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius: 182 hours (RPG, 2017, Square Enix, iOS/Android)
- Fate/Grand Order: 165 hours (RPG, 2015, Aniplex, iOS/Android)
- Dragon Quest VII: 105 hours (RPG, 2001, Enix, PS1)
- Persona 5 Royal: 103 hours (RPG, 2020, Atlus, PS4)
- Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children: 92 hours (Tactical/Visual novel, 2017, Dandylion, PC)
- Wizardry 8: 92 hours (CRPG, 2001, Sir-Tech, PC)
- Inquisitor: 90 hours (CRPG, 2013, Cinemax, PC)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3: 82 hours (RPG), Altus, PS2)
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker: 76 hours (CRPG, Deep Silver, PC/PS4/Xbox One)
Mobile games and RPGs
Due to their nature (often free-to-play) and their business model (based on microtransactions), mobile games are highly represented in this list.
But, more generally, role-playing games (RPGs) hold the crown. It’s obvious: when you play an RPG, you give yourself over to a universe that is not your own. And studios don’t hesitate to make the pleasure last for dozens and dozens of hours.
Thus, the Dragon Quest and Persona series are particularly present in this list and beyond.
Among the titles that are perhaps a little more well known to the general public are Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (59 hours), The Witcher 3 (55 hours), and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (50 hours). The recently released Elden Ring manages to complete the main quest in 49 hours on average, just ahead of Red Dead Redemption 2 (also 49 hours).
Source: How Long To Beat